Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Copywriter Self-Promo That Works...


Here is a Self-Promo for copywriter Lawson Clarke that was sent to me by a recent grad Jett Landicho.

I tell my students when it comes to self-promo... “make sure it has impact, make it real, make it memorable, make it worth the time somebody will spend with it”. In this case it does. All around.

Lawson pays a fun retro homage to the Burt Reynolds Cosmo Centerfold from 1972. The work within his portfolio samples are great. I love the way the site interacts and informs... most of all it hides very little... in terms of talent.

Personally, I love the "Star Spangled Banner" as the site loads... my imagination ran wild looking for some sort of rising.

In 1972, Burt Reynolds shared a late-night talk show couch (in a totally non-sexual way) with Helen Gurley Brown, author of Sex and the Single Girl and editor of Cosmopolitan.

At some point in the evening, Brown challenged Reynolds to pose for a nude centerfold (shown above) in her magazine, and he agreed. Here is in all his bearskin glory, cigarillo barely held aloft by his smirking lips. Later he would write the whole thing off as a joke - and really, just look at it and there's no reason not to believe him - but he'd also write the entire period off as a blur.

Now it got my attention, I want to hear the response Lawson gets to the site. A female colleague asked if I found it a bit sexiest, you know "the girlie icons etc..."... I said get a grip lady.

Thanks Jett.

Thanks Lawson for letting it all hangout for us to see great work.

Take a visit: http://malecopywriter.com/

No comments:

 
TNB | Distributed by Deluxe Templates