Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mark Your Calendars Ladies. It's Bikini Season.

Mark your calendars.

It's May 2nd, a short 3 weeks until we officially start summer with the first long weekend.

Is it time to trim your bush? Mow the lawn and get spruced up for summer.

Check out this kooky ad from Wilkinson Sword /Schick Quattro featuring a bunch of glamorous girls getting busy mowing their lawns, trimming their bushes and having a general 'tidy up' in their gardens...!


The spot is from JWT, New York for client Wilkinson Sword / Schick Quattro: “Trim the Hedges”. It almost got the "F@cking Brilliant" title... but there is a side of me that would send a mixed message to my students. Never use "cliche", "pun" and "sexual innuendo". (Hey they tackle me over the overuse of "..." (ellipses) in my blog... another pet peeve of mine with juniors.

I got a kick a out of the quality of writing in this jingle. The spot overall might seem a bit junior, really. Imagine getting the CD to buy in... better yet getting the client to.

Best line in the spot... "I like when I see tulips on my mound". Yikes!

My friend Ryan Thomas (maybe one of the smartest people I know) dedicated a page in his blog to the "trim", as he said insert Frank and Gordon joke here. Check his take on "trimming" in advertising.

There is also a few good comments posted both on my Facebook posting of this spot and other sites including the feminist blog "Feministing.com":
"This commercial actually brings up the issue of nature and control. I think women should be able to do whatever the hell they please with the hair down there, but I’m also a pretty big fan of letting it just be".

"Too many of us spend an exorbitant amount of time on “maintenance” when it comes to our bodies, often motivated–not by a sense of playfulness or joy–but obligation, shame, societal pressure. If you find it fun to trim around or wax it off, more power to you, but I wish women didn’t feel like they had to do anything in particular with their own pubic hair in order to be pretty, clean, or acceptable".
Yes, I am a guy (AdGuy)... but "a big fan of letting it just be". Nope!!! Sorry.

Here are few additional comments:

"Some creative director got his with this one, didn’t he? Total lack of creativity.
When you don’t have an idea, flash some flesh".

-----
This was AWESOME!! I especially love the hairless pussy-cat. LMFAO!!!!!

-----
I’m a 28 year old woman, and I thought it was funny. Nothing wrong with having a sense of humor… we all mow the lawn!! what’s the problem???

Cute, simple and fun way of showing the second most common use for a razor. Kinda tired of the usual woman in a bathrobe shaving her legs with a towel on her head.

It got us all talking about it, so it did cause an impression, which in the end is the main idea.

I agree with David L. My favorite line is also “tulips on the mound”.

Common’ women!! Lighten up!

----

I’m a 40 year old woman and I mow my own lawn! I hedge it, trim it, wax it, powder it…I could go on.

It surely caught my attention and put a smile on my face. Then I watched it again.

I’ll buy several. Do they come in different colors?

----

“Classless… Disgusting… Piece of shit… Pathetic. Cringeworthy. Juvenile…One of the stupidest commercials ever…?”

Wow. We Earthlings sure do see things through different filters.

Source: AdForum.com

Enjoy... “Trim the hedges".

I’ll let this ad explain the rest. Enjoy!

No comments:

 
TNB | Distributed by Deluxe Templates